Tuesday, November 21, 2006


Mayflower by Nathaniel Philbrick (Viking Adult, 2006) is one of the first narrative non fiction history books I've ever read. I've always been interested in history, but it tends to be dry reading. When I saw that this book was on the bestseller list, I decided to give it a try.

I wasn't disappointed.

I learned more about our earliest colonists than I ever thought possible. Their quest for religious freedom inspired not only their own but future generations to come to this land of the free. But once here, they, not unlike many of us, discovered that freedom has a cost - a high cost.

This book spans more than one generation of colonists. The same generations of Indians were chronicled right alongside the colonists. Both viewpoints seemed to be well represented. I highly recommend this book for every person even slightly interested in how this country was founded. Parents who homeschool would be interested for the educational value of this book as well.